My Lady. My Hero.

My Lady. My Hero.

On July 10th I was lucky enough to introduce my little man, Archer, to the world. In the days following his arrival I received a lot of ‘congratulations’ and ‘well dones’ and it got me thinking why am I being told ‘well done’? What did I do? I’m the one who fell asleep on the labour ward floor with a suitcase as a pillow. I’m the one that spilt coffee all over the refreshment stand. No, I don’t deserve the ‘well dones’. The person who does? My lady and here is why…

We always knew that we would be having our little man through the sunroof as the eldest three had come the same way. We had been booked in for the operation on July 11th and had gone to hospital for the second round of steroid injections on the 7th. Being the amazing mum that she is, my lady said she didn’t feel quite right and that something seemed off. So, we got the midwives to check her over as they did the injections and they put her on a monitor. The midwife took the readings and said a doctor would be around to talk to us as soon as they could. It was about 8 o’clock in the evening and we were in a room with very little lights on in the corridors, it was kind of spooky to be honest. We had to wait four hours for the doctor to see us. She said that it was for the best they kept her in and did the operation as soon as they could fit us in. We both had to take this news in with very, very tired minds. I mean a few hours ago we had left a family BBQ to have simple injections and now we were getting ready for the baby to arrive. My lady immediately kicked in to mum mode and gave me a list, that she had been planning for months, of all the bits we would need for herself, the baby…and myself…to stay in hospital. She was obviously shocked by the news but took it all on the chin.

The next day we were told that the surgeons would ideally like the steroids to have 24 hours to fully work before they did the operation. So, we spent the day in a very warm ward letting everything just sink in. My lady was put on a monitor at regular times throughout the day. As the evening grew closer we were told that we would not be meeting the baby today. My lady was then told to start starving from 10pm so we would be all good to go the next day.

mum in labour on birthing ball - Cotswold Baby Co

Monday came around. I arrived at the hospital with my lady’s mum. We sat around the bed, watched the TV on silent, spotted trees that looked like camels and played ‘would you rather?’…the student midwife participating in this one too. Feeling especially guilty when we ate lunch in front of her. She was still in good spirits though and smiling away. It was early evening when they finally came to take us to down to the labour ward. We were all full of excitement, nerves and anticipation but it was time, we were having the baby. However, when we got down there we were told there would be some delays because there had been a couple of emergencies, but they still planned to do the operation tonight. So, we waited and then we were seen by surgeons to prep us for the procedure but then more emergencies came in and we were held back longer. My lady was now reaching 24 hours since she had last eaten, she was still smiling and positive though. We asked if the operation was likely to be that night as if it was to be the following day then she was reaching the deadline of when she would have to start starving again. Eventually we were told that it would in fact be the following day and after a well-earned Subway sandwich we began plans for the next day. 

Me and my lady’s mum arrived at the hospital on the Tuesday morning, with a little less optimism after the mentally tiring day that we had had yesterday. My lady on the other hand was still positive and joking away. The morning passed slowly, and we waited. Then in the late afternoon we were told it was finally our turn and, although being understandably nervous, she took it all in her stride. She was taken down to theatre and I put on my scrubs, with very stylish Crocs! I was met by the midwife on my way down and she said something had come up. We were all sitting in the theatre surrounded by surgeons, midwives, beeping equipment etc and we were told that there may be another emergency and that we may have to go back to the ward to wait. I couldn’t believe it was happening! We were so close. We were in the actual theatre and we might have to go back. My lady was still talking and making jokes with everyone though. Then a nurse came in and said we were all good to go. The relief was unreal. Minutes later I had my little man in my arms. Being the mum that she is she was asking if he was okay and worrying about him as she was being stitched back up! Safe to say all was well and we are all back home now.

I know emergencies happen and there could always be someone in more need than yourself. I truly hope all the emergencies from those few days went perfectly and everyone is now in good health. I also know that the nurses, midwives, surgeons etc do a truly amazing job and it cannot be easy to have to delivery disappointing news to people who are waiting to see their little ones. I am so thankful to them for all that they do.

The whole few days, that felt like few years at times, were so exhausting and mentally draining but throughout everything, the waiting, the disappointment, the uncertainty, my lady was always smiling, laughing, positive, brave and caring. I love her and respect her even more for it. She is already the best mum to our kids and Archer will know how lucky his is to be able to call her his. She will always be my hero.

David Harris
David Harris

David lives in the Leicestershire countryside. He lives in a bungalow with his lady, Zoe, and four children Rylee, Jonah, Matilda and Archer.

He likes going on adventures, exploring the countryside, spotting wildlife, listening to music, meditating and being a bit of a hippy. In his spare time he also writes books and stories.


Leave a Reply